Here is a link to a Report, by Deloitte Access Economics titled: “Living with Parkinson’s Disease” about Parkinson’s Disease in Australia released in 2011. One in 350 Australians now have Australia’s second most common neurological disease, Parkinson’s Disease.
Key findings include:
- That 30 more people are diagnosed with Parkinson’s each day
- Parkinson’s is growing in numbers (by 17% over the last six years); and costs have grown by over 48%
- the estimated burden of the disease for 2011-12 is valued at $7.6 billion
- 20% of PD sufferers are of working age
- Parkinson’s is commoner than prostate, bowel and many other cancers
- it costs people with Parkinson’s about $12,000 a year out of their own pockets
- every year nearly 50,000 years of healthy life are lost to the condition
NOTE: When you have followed any links on this site you can return to your current page by pressing the arrow in the top left hand corner.